What are Show Me Tell Me Questions on a driving test?
Below are the Show me Tell Me Questions you could be asked on your Driving Test:
Under the Bonnet
1) Identify where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you would check the windscreen washer level.
Identify reservoir and explain how to check level.
2) Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check the engine has sufficient oil.
Identify dipstick/oil level indicator describe the maximum and minimum level.
3) Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant and tell me how you would check the engine has the correct level.
Identify the high/low level markings on the header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to the correct level.
4) Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Identify reservoir, check level against high/low level.
Tell me questions
1) Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before you start a journey?
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
2) Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for the car and how tyre pressure should be checked?
Manufacturer’s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don’t forget spare tyre, remember to fit the valve caps.
3) Tell me how you would make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash?
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or the top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable N.B some restraints might not be adjustable.
4) Tell me how you would check the tyre to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe for use on the road?
No cuts or bulges 1.6mm of tread depth across the central ¾ of the breadth of the tyre and round the entire circumference.
5) Tell me how you would check that the headlights & tail lights are working (need to exit car).
Operate switch (turn on the ignition if necessary) then walk round vehicle .If this is a tell me question you do not need to exit the car.
6) Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system.
Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti-lock braking system
Show me questions
1) Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working?
Applying the indicators or hazard warning switch and check functioning of all indicators
(May need to switch on ignition but not to start the engine).
2) Show me how you would check that the brake lights are working on the car (I can assist you if you need to switch on the ignition on, please don’t start the engine).
Operate brake pedal making use of the reflection in windows, garage doors, etc or ask someone to help, (may need to switch ignition on, prompt not to start the engine.
3) Show me or explain how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
If the steering becomes heavy the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made. Gentle pressure on the steering wheel maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning
4) Show me how you clean the windscreen using the windscreen washers and wipers.
Operate the control to wash and wipe windscreen (turn on ignition if necessary)
5) Show me how you would set the demister controls to clear all the windows effectively; this could include both front and rear screens.
Set all relevant controls including; fan, temperature air direction/source and heated screen to clear windscreen and windows.Enginedoes not have to be started for the demonstration.
6) Show me how you switch your headlights from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst inside the car.
Operate switch (with ignition or engine on if necessary) check the main beam warning light.
Operate the switch (turn on the dipped headlight and ignition if necessary) Check warning light is on Explain use.
7) Show me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car. (I can assist you if you need to switch on the ignition please don’t start the engine).
Operate the brake pedal make use of reflection in windows, garage doors, etc or ask someone to help. (May need to switch on ignition on, prompt not to start engine.
8) Show me how you would switch on the rear fog lights and explain when you would use them (no need to exit the car).
Operate switch (turn on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary) check the warning light is on.
9) Show me how you would check the parking brake (handbrake) for excessive wear; make sure you keep safe control of the vehicle.
Apply the footbrake firmly. Demonstrate by applying parking brake (handbrake) so that when it is fully applied it secures itself and is not at the end of the working travel.